Sunday, December 4, 2011

3,000 Miles.. again



Turns out keeping up with the blog had some unexpected effects.... we inadvertently convinced some of our friends to move out to the west coast too! The first one to actually make the jump was Tressa. I flew down to florida and helped her load up her truck with all of her earthly possessions, snacks, lots of bottled water, tons of music, and huge books of mad-libs to keep us from getting bored on those long stretches of highway. Before we embarked I took the little time I had in FL to visit some friends and family which was really nice. Over the course of 4 days we took turns driving through 13 states (Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington)  and covered approximately 3,100 miles. We didn't make many stops.. only for gas, leg stretching, and sleep (we averaged 14 hour driving days)... but it was still a great opportunity to see the country. What exactly did we see you ask? Mostly corn. And cows. But corn, soybeans, and potatoes took up at least half of the landscape of the entire middle of the country. Oh, and did I mention all the corn? When we finally made it past the mid-west we saw mountains, plains, big sky, big rocks, rainbows, fields with covered in trees, fields with absolutely no trees or other plants at all, a couple of large cities, and antelope! Wait...did I forget mention the all the corn?!?! I took photos all along the way.. Tressa took some too, and when I got home and stat down to edit them I realized that many of them looked the same. It was a big surprise to me that it was really hard to tell the difference between many of the states we passed through. Things truly didn't get interesting till we hit Wyoming. Another surprise. I had never considered Wyoming a place I'd ever want to visit... But of all the places we drove through it's the one of the only ones either of us would have any desire to re-visit. Tressa's Aunt was lovely enough to let us stay at her house one night in Salt Lake City Utah. We were mildly concerned about being abducted my the Mormons but luckily none such thing happened...  although one night the gps got us lost driving through some corn fields and we though we would be abducted by some other scary things like aliens or creepy children with scythes lol. All in all it was an epic drive, one I would do again but probably take a different route. Tressa quickly became at home in her new environment and is still doing well and loving her life in Oregon.

On to the photos!

 CLICK HERE FOR PICS



Here are a couple of short video clips from the trip, the quality is crappy but I'm trying to show the scale of the landscape:







No comments:

Post a Comment